SLC-DFW-LHR-TXL (Sorry no pics)

Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SLC-DFW-LHR-TXL (Sorry no pics)
Just yesterday I arrived in Berlin, and decided I will write a short description of my trip. Sadly I did not take any pictures, so all I can offer is a description.

I booked the trip with British Airways using the ba.com website, for a very low price that I was extremely lucky to find.

The first flight was from my hometown of Salt Lake City, Utah to Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas. The flight was with an MD83. I arrived at the airport about two hours ahead of scheduled departure time, and after checking in and dropping off my bag I strolled the terminal for a while. I was departing from Terminal one, gate A3 (for anyone who knows SLC, that is the typical AA slc gate). When I arrived an American Eagle CRJ700 was loading in my gate for a flight to Chicago O'hare. While it was loading a Jetblue A320 arrived at a nearby gate from Long Beach.

I waited a bit, read my book and watched the endless line of aircraft line up and then take off from the runway outside the terminal windows. I saw mostly; Skywest Delta Connection CRJ100, 200s, 700s and 900s, Delta 737s, A319s/A320s, MD90s, 757s, and a few 767s and an occasional Southwest 737 and two United Express CRJ700s and a Continental 737 as well the American Eagle CRJ700 line up and hold before departing for destinations to the east.

Before long my MD80 in shiny AA colors landed. It had started lightly raining and it looked great with the dark clouds and rainy ground reflecting off the shiny fuselage. It arrived loudly in the gate, engines screaming and as the engines shut off the ground crews pulled up and started preparing it for the return flight to Dallas.

Soon boarding stated and once I had boarded and found my seat far at the back near the roar of the engines I realized what is so nice about the MD80. It is one LOUD aircraft Smile. We departed from the gate about 15 minutes behind schedule and had an uneventful, yet slightly bumpy flight to west Texas and into Dallas. It was very loud and I enjoyed every minute of those loud JT8D engines blasting just outside from my window seat. The flight was about 93% full and luckily I somehow had managed to have an empty row while most seats filled quickly and thus I could spread out a bit.

We landed ontime in Dallas even after the slightly delayed departure from SLC, a small tribute to the extra padding American Airlines adds to the schedule. In Dallas I quickly left the gate (gate A13) and boarded the airport train. After a short 10 minute train-ride with great views down onto an army of endless shiny AA metal reflecting in the sun the train arrived at terminal D and I stepped off for a short walk to my departure gate.

After arriving at the gate I headed to the podium and checked in with the British Airways staff. I expected them to ask me if I had any weapons in my baggage while printing my new Boarding Passes (they asked about guns or other weapons I might have in my checked bag last time I flew with British Airways) but instead they told me they had upgraded me. I had moved from World Traveler to World Traveler Plus. I was not sure of the difference, yet was happy to have received an upgrade of any type. Before long boarding started.

After boarding the flight I noticed my new seat had a personal TV so it was one of the refurbished 747s, also the seat was larger (it being a world traveler plus seat after all) and I settled into my seat. Sadly I did not have a window seat, however I at least had an aisle seat. The flight passed quickly, I watched some shows on the TV and enjoyed my meals and managed to get about an hour of sleep. Before long the lights where turned on, the sun shown brightly in through the windows and a small breakfast was served. We then started the decent and after holding in pattern for ten minutes to allow other aircraft to land the mighty 747 lined up for landing and gracefully touched down nearly 30 minutes ahead of schedule into London Heathrow.

I arrived in the B gates in Terminal 5 of London Heathrow (as with most long-haul flights) and after a short train ride, a passport check, and going through security for the second time this trip, I was in the giant shopping center that are the A gates of Terminal 5 Heathrow. I headed to a side away from the crowds and enjoyed the views as numerous British Airways aircraft slid gracefully past. First saw a 767, then a number of 747s, 777s and of course numerous Airbus 319s/320s. I set an alarm for when my departure gate would be announced and spent an hour watching A320s and other British Airways aircraft unload and load in the numerous gates. Soon my alarm went off and I checked the screen before walking to the now announced gate.

My next flight was uneventful. After finding my seat in the A319 I fell asleep and did not wake up until the aircraft touched down in Berlin. The A319 is smooth and quiet and considering how tired I was with only one hour of sleep, I managed to sleep all the way through this flight.

Before long I had arrived in Berlin to get on with my summer. Thanks for reading, and sorry about having no pictures.
Nice!
I think I'll write one up...
Thanks for your excellent contribution flyorski! I will stick this thread.
Thank you! Smile
No Problem!
I'll have to write one, nice one BTW, I wish I was thereBig Grin
When will it be out?
(05-22-201108:11 AM)nino51300 Wrote: I'll have to write one, nice one BTW, I wish I was thereBig Grin

Thanks! Smile I look forward to reading one when you write it.
Yeah! I'll look forward to it!
I'll be writing 2 of my trips this summer Big Grin
Look Forward To It!
(05-22-201108:20 AM)AirbusA340 Wrote: When will it be out?
I dunno...I'm REALLY busy the next month..ending the school year, massive tests, all that junk.